Monday, November 24, 2008

We Have Lift-off

Maybe it's because he was home sick today, but I felt the need to do another post about my sweet middle child. He recently learned how to pump on the swing. Which, if you have children, you know is a big deal. It means Mommy doesn't have come outside and push every time he wants to go on the swing.

Now when he asks "Mommy, will you push me high in the sky?" I answer "No, buddy, you know how to pump now. Remember?" Then he smiles and his little eyes light up as it all comes back to him. You can just see him thinking "Oh yeah, I do know how to pump. I'm a big boy." And he scampers out to the backyard and pumps and pumps until he is indeed going high in the sky, just as he wanted. And I have to admit, as relieved as I am for this newest step of independence he has taken, a small part of me is sad too, that he no longer needs me to give him a push.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

It is wonderful when they can pump themselves...some how they still ask to be pushed. Whenever I take the neighborhood across the street to the park, my neighbor ALWAYS asks me to push him and give him an underdog. Did I mention that he is in 5TH grade? Give me a break!!

giraffe background