Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Full Hands, Full Heart

There are several kids on our street that attend the elementary school just around the corner. After we all drop our kids off in the morning and walk home, many of the parents can relax and chat, as they are now kid-free for several hours.

Meanwhile, I am simultaneously pushing a baby in a stroller and trying to make sure my preschooler doesn’t run into the street. I think about these parents and their empty hands. Sometimes I am envious of their carefree conversations while it seems that whenever I try to talk, I get interrupted by a “Mommy, but why…?” question.My hands are very full these days. It seems I always have a child to carry or a sticky hand to hold as we cross the street. Sometimes it gets overwhelming, as I feel I rarely have a moment when I am not fulfilling someone else’s need. There is always a snack to prepare, a diaper to change, an argument to break up, or a question to answer for the 47th time. There are days I wish for some peace and quiet and a few minutes just to myself.
But then I think of how it would be if my hands weren’t so full. What if they were empty—if I didn’t have any small hands to hold, or noses to wipe, or tears to dry? It makes me sad just to think of it. So for now, I will try to enjoy these times when I get to be constantly surrounded by my children—helping them, teaching them, and hopefully giving them enough love and encouragement. Because I know that before long, they won't be so little anymore.

7 comments:

Cathy said...

Amen. (although I am typing this from a kid free quiet zone..hooray for the speech bus)

Anonymous said...

Ditto...Ditto.. Totally understand you on that one.

Unknown said...

Your kids will always need you . . . even when you get to be a little more free. I still wipe tears and noses and break up fights. Just not between 7:05 am and 3:05 p.m. I enjoy your attitude about it. Wish I had been that positive when I was doing it "full-time".

Aryn said...

I can't get over how cute those kids are!!! And glad you're appreciating it... I'd kill to be in your shoes.

Layton family said...

I think you are the most entertaining blogger friend that I have. Keep it up, I love it!

Julie said...

They grow up way too fast. I agree we should enjoy them now.

Angela said...

Wow Cynthia, you made me cry!! I TOTALLY have been going through the exact same feelings lately. AND...with another bun in the oven. Wow! thanx for your reminder. I'm glad we're still friends. Write sometime!
Love,
Angela

giraffe background