Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday Favorites: Nativities

I was inspired by my dear friend Cathy's recent post to blog a bit about my favorite type of Christmas decoration: nativity sets, or creches.

When we lived in Michigan, a woman in our ward was in charge of this huge creche festival at the church every year. Apparently she had started it 30 years prior and over the years it had grown and grown until there were over 1,000 creches on display each year. It was an amazing sight to behold. She inspired me to start my own little creche collection. I have several, and love to find new ones. Here are a few from my collection:
This is our kids set. Yes, that's tape holding the roof together. It's not as indestructible as I thought. But the other pieces are pretty hardy.
This one I got from my parents one year. It goes up high, out of the kids' reach.

My sister Angela cross-stitched this one for me several years ago. I love it.And this one is my very favorite. It is made of carved wood and backed in felt. It is just beautiful. I got it at this enormous Christmas store in Michigan called Bronner's. If we weren't poor students back then I would have bought more because they have every Christmas decoration known to man. It's seriously incredible.

I still dream one day of owning an olivewood nativity set from Jerusalem. My parents have one and I have fond memories of setting it up on the piano each year. It is rustic yet elegant, a fitting combo for representing the birth of our Savior.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Those are all very pretty. I love Nativities.

Drewmeister said...

I love nativity sets. My sister collects them too.

Drewmeister said...

PS
Tag--you're it! See my blog for more details

giraffe background