Friday, December 19, 2008

Friday Favorites: Peanut Butter Balls

I was introduced to these delicious little goodies several years ago by a friend at work. She brought some in to share with the office and I begged her for the recipe. I've included them in our neighbor goodie bags for the last couple of years and they are always a huge hit. She called them Buckeyes (it's an Ohio thing), but I like to call them Peanut Butter Balls, because, well, that's basically what they are.
The recipe is quite simple and doesn't take long, which already makes it a winner in my book.

Buckeyes (or Peanut Butter Balls)

2 lbs. creamy peanut butter
1 lb. butter, soft
2.5 lbs. powdered sugar
2-12 oz. packages chocolate chips
1/2-1 bar paraffin wax (I always use less, like 1/2 bar max for one recipe)

Mix butter, peanut butter, and sugar. Shape into balls and refrigerate one hour or more. They should look like this:
Meanwhile, melt chocolate and wax in double boiler (or just a reguar pan on low heat for those of us who don't have a fancy double boiler) until nice and smooth.
When the balls are hard, dip into chocolate using a toothpick or spoon. Set on wax paper to cool.My dear husband was helping me do the dipping this time. His tray is in the front. I love the man, but speed is not his forte. But his heart is willing, and I appreciate that. When you are done, they should loook like this:Put them in the freezer until hard, then you can store them in a ziploc bag and eat them one by one... or save them to give away. Or intend to save them, but sneak a few each day and then finally realize you need to make another batch so you have enough to give away. Not that anyone would do that. Anyway, there you have it, Peanut Butter Balls. Yummmm!

7 comments:

Maren said...

OK, as you know, I graduated from Ohio State - home of the BUCKEYES! And I am pretty sure it is some form of blasphemy to call these peanut butter balls. We make buckeyes too, and you are supposed to leave a little peanut butter poking through so that they look like a buckeye nut. I know your husband went to "that school up north" but that's no license to desecrate our snack foods :)

Cynthia said...

Oh Maren, I was trying to be kind since I acquired the recipe when Erik was going to "that school up north" and, well, you know how they feel about "those people who wear red" up there. So call them what you will, but I beg the question: "Who the heck even knows what a buckeye nut is supposed to look like?!" And besides, who in their right mind would add LESS chocolate??? ;)

Lori said...

Buckeyes, peanut butter balls, they still look yummy. I'd be happy to sample some for you. I do have ties to Ohio though, so I might have to side with the buckeyes.

Lori Lyn said...

I was introducted to these buckeyes by my boss when I first moved to Ohio. They're delish!

I do have a buckeye nut (also from my boss) and if you covered all but one end with chocolate they look just the same!

Drewmeister said...

PS--that last comment from LLP was really from me--I was just signed into a different account.

Layton family said...

I wish I was one of your neighbors who got pb balls

Cynthia said...

Tell you what ladies, I will bring them to our January recipe club. Look forward to it! :)

giraffe background