Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Way Back When-sday: Lake Powell

It's that time of the week again, and at my husband's suggestion, I decided to post a blast from my family's past. Since the time I was 10 years old, every other summer our family traveled to Utah and spent a week on a houseboat on Lake Powell with my mom's side of the family. Now, this wasn't just a couple of aunts and uncles and a cousin or two. My mom is one of eight children, and most of them have several children of their own. We would pack upwards of 40 people onto one (sometimes two) houseboat. That doesn't leave a lot of extra breathing room.

These trips provided some great childhood memories. We loved being with our cousins. We would swim in the lake, go waterskiing, play board and card games, perform in the traditional family talent show, and basically laugh our heads off the entire week. Just last Christmas, my parents gave each of us a DVD of clips from two of those LP excursions. It was so funny to look back and remember the fun times we had as kids and teenagers. And to see through an adult's eyes how crazy it must have been to spend an entire week living literally on top of one another, sleeping all in a row like sardines, being with your family and in-laws every moment of every day for seven whole days. Not to mention we were all wearing our swimsuits the entire time.

This picture was taken in August of 1992. That's me in the middle with the pasty white, gangly arms spread like an eagle. I was 18 years old and am doing one of our favorite activities: riding the banana boat. The speed boat would pull us and we would bounce up and down and the guys in the back would lean to the side, trying to tip it over. Fun times.
As a side note, my cousin Shannon (the other one with her arms spread out) is a semi-famous author. Ever heard of The Goose Girl? Princess Academy? Austenland? She wrote all of those, just to name a few. I'm sure she'd be thrilled I'm posting this picture. But I can say I knew her when. And at least her arms don't look as freakishly long and white as mine do.

6 comments:

Layton family said...

You are very brave. You put a picture on your blog of you in a bathing suit... a purple tie dye? I have many great memories from Lake Powell, but none of them include a banana raft. My one experience on that was as an adult and all the other adult passengers in front of me dragged their toes in the water and aimed the spray directly in my eyes. Fell off from laughing so hard

Lori said...

I grew up in Utah - and have never been to Lake Powell. Strange, huh? I would go with friends to Flaming Gorge to water ski. That banana boat is huge! Looks like fun.

Cynthia said...

I'd MUCH rather post a picture of me in a swimsuit from my skinny days than now!! Unlike you Laura, my body actually looks like it's borne three children.

Audrey said...

Every time I see a banana raft I think of Jaws. By the way, I love your super stylish swim suit. You're looking good Cynthia, looking good!!

Anonymous said...

No way you are related to Shannon Hale? I love her books! Just finished River Secrets, awaiting #4

Too cool!

Julie said...

Cynthia, You look great then and now. It looks like a lot of fun!

giraffe background