Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Way Back When-sday: Grandma Stratford

My grandma is one of my heroes. She was one of the kindest, most loving and accepting people I ever knew. Talk about spreading the love. She was a wonderful cook, and was always offering her delicious food and a warm smile to everyone: her neighbors, friends, the mailman, the grocery story clerk... this was a woman who embodied Christ-like love. Although we saw her every year at Christmastime, I didn't really get to know Grandma until I went to college.
She hosted weekly Sunday-night dinners at her house and all of the cousins who attended BYU came. These were elaborate affairs, with fancy tablecloths and crystal goblets, not to mention the delicious food. We sometimes brought roommates, friends, and, when applicable, significant others. It was great to hang out with my cousins, see Grandma, Grand Dad, and Aunt Marilyn, and partake of their love and warmth. Grandma always made us "sing for our dinner." We'd sing "The more we get together, the happier we'll be." This song embodied Grandma's philosophy on life. She also loved to play matchmaker. She would move my cousin Travis's roommates so they were sitting next to me, explaining "Cynthia's lonely."

Another song we always sang was "Have I Done Any Good?" Whenever I sing it, I think of her and am reminded to look outside myself and try to help others.

Grandma died a year after I got married, when she was 93 years old. I still miss her and appreciate her example. I gave Ben the middle name of Calder, which was Grandma's maiden name. I figured that was one way to keep her legacy alive.

Hip hip hooray, Graaaaaaaaaandma.

8 comments:

Drewmeister said...

What wonderful memories of your grandmother.

Cathy said...

Like I have always said...you are so lucky to have her for a grandma. She was amazing. I have such a different non-relationship with my grandparents. What a great memory for us all to enjoy.

Julie said...

That's exactly the kind of grandma I want to be. I'll have to remember to make sure nobody is lonely. That first picture of her is so cute with her pie. I would totally frame that one.

Lori said...

I must be really bad with the word verification - let me try again.
Fun memories! She sounds like a wonderful grandma!

Amy said...

Great post, Cynthia. I miss Grandma and our Sunday dinners. We had so much fun together as cousins. After we would spend Christmas with your family, we would go home and wonder how you could all be so nice. We'd try to be nicer (and better at math) for a little while but it didn't last long. I miss you!

Travis said...

Hip hip hooray, Grandmaaaaaaaaa!

Lovely post, Cynthia. Grandma Stratford is my hero, too.

Sally DeFord said...

I always reflect on Grandma and how close I feel to my cousins on the Stratford side. I think the effort of Grandma had so much to do with us developing close friendships with each other. I hope I can be a grandma like that and more like her.

Maren said...

Cynthia - I miss your grandma, too! I only met her a few times, but she was very memorable. I remember being at one of those dinners when one of their guests told a hilarious story about his daughter accidently wearing a see through dress to church and crying in the parking lot about it. Your grandma took off her own slip right there in the parking lot and gave it to the crying girl. Classic. I love that story. She was truly an amazing woman!

giraffe background