Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Way Back When-sday

I have had to wake Ben up from naps more often lately in order to go pick one of the kids up from school, or drop off at track practice, etc.

It made me think back to when I had a baby and a two-year-old. We had no schedule, no reason to get out of the house by a certain time, and the whole day to do with as we pleased. Sure, now that I have a baby that is missing naps due to his older siblings' schedules, I think that would be so easy, but I remember at the time that it was actually pretty difficult. The days got soooooo long and I was nervous to take a baby and a temperamental two-year-old out very often by myself. Plus, we lived in Seattle so there were several months at a time where it was too wet to play outside. Needless to say, we spent quite a bit of time at home.

One thing I did do on a regular basis, and that we all loved, is go for walks. I would pack Caleb up in this snugly blanket/jumsuit thing, strap them both in the double stroller, and walk around the neighborhood. We all got some fresh air, I got some much-needed exercise, and it was a nice break from home. I remember around this time period Olivia got really into fire hydrants. Every time we would pass one she would yell out "FIRA-HYDRA! FIRA-HYDRA!" There were a lot of fire hydrants in our neighborhood.

Nowadays when we go for walks, these two kids ride their bikes or scooters, and I just have one kid to push in the stroller. Times have changed, that's for sure. But I must say, I'm glad we're still in the "going on walks together" stage.

Come to think of it, I hope it's a stage we never outgrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember our early morning walks in the cold? When Marin and Olivia were in the snuggly suits? Good times!

kel said...

here here!

Layton family said...

I, of course, am in that stage where I never leave the house to preserve naps. I think it might be easier than having to interrupt them to go pick up other kids. My day will come, sooner than later. Good cartoon by the way!

giraffe background