Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Way Back When-sday: My First Drink

I am a Mormon. I'm pretty sure anyone who is reading this blog knows what that is, and most likely is Mormon too. Growing up, I always knew that I believed different things than my school friends, but sometimes I got confused in my sheltered world. When I was about ten years old, I ended up at a restaurant with a non-member friend and her parents. My friend ordered a Shirley Temple drink, and her parents suggested I get one too. I resisted, thinking it was some type of alcoholic drink. I knew that as a Mormon I didn’t drink, but since none of the adults I knew drank either, for me the distinction was between Mormon and non-Mormon, not child vs. adult.
My friends’ parents assured me it was just 7-UP and grenadine syrup. Now, I didn’t know what grenadine syrup was, but it sure sounded alcoholic to me! They finally convinced me it was okay, and I hesitantly drank it. I felt kind of naughty. But I must admit, I was more than a little relieved when I discovered, years later, that it was a non-alcoholic drink.
p.s. I'm kind of rocking those turquoise pants, aren't I??? I think they were Esprit, with the button fly. Soooo stylish.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Erik recently introduced me to what grenadine syrup is...I too thought it was not a good thing to drink (and I am talking about just a year ago). Wait...I think I was wearing that outfit too. I am slowly catching up to all your worldly experience.

Tracy said...

Let's go out for Shirley Temples on Sat. We can be some wild and crazy girls. I know Fridays serves a mean vanilla coke, but I'm not sure the best place for Temples. Hey, the Temple should serve Temples!

Lori said...

I love reading about your growing up years!

Layton family said...

Shirley Temples are still may favorite drink, I always get a funny look from the waiter though, I guess its juvenile?? Just the word ESPRIT brings back horrible fashion memories

giraffe background