Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Way Back When-sday

We are getting ready for a trip to the Mother Land in a couple of days. That's right my friends, we're making the trek to Utah. We will be there for ten days of visiting various family and friends, attending a family reunion, showing the kids our old stomping grounds (BYU), and maybe we'll even get to see a same-sex couple kiss on Temple Square!

One of the things I'm most excited about is seeing various friends that we haven't seen in YEARS. I must be getting old because a decade just slipped by with my barely even realizing it. So anyway, I had big plans (well, big as far as a blog post goes) to post old pictures of the friends I will get to see again. But, our printer/scanner/copier decided to die today. So, we're stuck with something I already had scanned in for my personal history.

Behold, Cynthia the Eight-Year-Old Pianist.
Because I have a seven-year-0ld, I think I look pretty big for eight here. Not sure if the photo was mislabeled (not likely, given my mother's organized ways), so I guess I really was just always tall. I think this was at a Young Artist's Festival--remember those? It was like a talent show for all the kids in the ward. My sisters and I were regular participants. I have no idea what I played, but I'm looking pretty snazzy in the green quilted jumper, knee-high socks, and blouse who's sleeves are too short for my monkey arms.

Little did I know at the time how familiar this would become: sitting at a piano at church. It is a spot I am very familiar with and where I feel quite comfortable. I'd much rather sit on a piano bench than stand at a pulpit, that's for sure!
Get excited for the next installment of Way Back When-sday because I WILL be posting photos of the friends I am so excited to see next week!

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

Enjoy your vacation! I remember you behind a pulpit. You were an excellent RS teacher.

Layton family said...

That is exactly what I thought when I saw the pic... No way you were 8, try 12! We will miss you while you are gone!

Kristen said...

So we've both always been giants AND we both play the piano. So many parallels...

BUT, I never had a cool green outfit like that, darn it all!

Angee said...

There better be a picture of me! Just kidding. It was so fun to talk to you the other day. We are excited to see you guys. So fun to read your blog!

Unknown said...

Have a fun trip! I wouldn't worry about that green quilted jumper. It is WAY more stylish than most of what I wore back in the day.

Aryn said...

I love these old pictures of you! Such a cutie...

Maren said...

Have fun in UT! I just got back from there.

giraffe background