Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Too Fast

A few days ago, we ushered in new phase of life. A new era, if you will. And I'm not sure I can handle it.

One moment, my baby has lots of long, fine baby hair.

The next, he is shorn like a sheep on a hot summer's day.


The problem isn't that his hair is shorter. I'm not attached to the hair, per say. I guess I'm just attached to the babyhood that it represents. You see, once you cut a boy's hair, their look completely changes. They pass from baby to toddler in about 3.2 seconds. And I'm not sure I'm ready for him to start growing up.

I'm not exactly sure why I'm having such a meltdown about a simple haircut. After all, this IS my third kid. It's not like I'm unaware of the millions of milestones he has ahead of him: words he will say, physical feats he will achieve, tantrums he will throw, sports he will play. And hey, a haircut is pretty minor when compared to walking (he STILL won't do it!), uttering coherent, recognizable words, pooping in the potty (I was reading a child development book recently and it was actually talking about starting to potty train! I was like "Uh, OK, maybe we'll start thinking about that a couple of years from now.").

I guess to me, the haircut represents a major break away from babyhood and into boyhood--stinky, sloppy, dirty boyhood.

Still, I'm not sure why I'm feeling so sentimental. Ben may or may not be our last baby. Probably not. So I'll most likely get to experience --if nothing else second-hand--the sweet smell and cuddliness of babyhood again in my life.

Maybe BECAUSE he's my third child, I recognize how very fast they do grow up, how one day you're holding your baby and the next he toddles away from you, off to explore the big, scary world (or the backyard) on his own.

It makes me want to hold on to him and scream "You're growing up too fast! Slow down!" Not that I haven't enjoyed his babyhood. I have. I've tried to savor every moment, every smile and giggle and thigh roll (his, not mine). For I know that before too long, he will be too big to comfortably cuddle on my shoulder or rock to sleep in my arms.

If only they could stay babies just a little while longer. For today, I will just love and cuddle and enjoy my toddler, before he hits preschooler age. Oh, heaven help me.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

It looks like you are ready for another one! By the way he looks so cute with the new hair cut!

Cynthia said...

Hahahahahahahahahaha... you're funny, Cath.

Suzanne said...

That was lovely! I must confess that I agree with Cathy. There's more than a hint of baby hunger in that posting. But as you can as would like. I've spent the last 48 hours thinking that I'm a lunatic! You have such a beautiful family.

Anonymous said...

Wow that was quite the post about a haircut. I agree, must be time for another one. See when you have them closer together you don't have time to get all sentimental over a hair cut! Cause the next one is on the way....Just kidding, I totally agree the haircut definitely changes their look.

Erik said...

I think these are just re-used pictures from Caleb's childhood! Holy cow, I think they are twins, just separated by a few years ;-)

giraffe background