Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Way Back Wednesday: The Fam...1980's Style

Before I was a mother with a family of my own to love and nurture, I had the privilege of growing up in a family as the fourth of five children. Here we are, circa 1985:

I'm the cute one on the left. OK, maybe just the one on the left. This was taken at my grandparents' house in Los Angeles. For some reason they had a fancy photographer come and take pictures of everyone outside by the pool. I loved that pool. We had some fun times swimming in Grandma's pool.... that is, until the earthquake cracked it and it was empty and barren. Then my cousin and his friends used it as a skate park.

Back to the picture. There are a few things in this picture I'd like to point out. First of all, Mr. Fancy-Pants Photographer apparently needs a few more lessons on Subject Placement. Hello, I look like I have horns growing out of the top of my head. Did he really not notice that when he was taking the picture???

Another concern I have is my little sister. The poor thing not only has her slip hanging out of the bottom of her dress, but her hair ribbons don't match her outfit. Poor, neglected fifth child. My middle sister is sporting her Little Orphan Annie 'do, which is looking fancy. My brother has his stylin' feathered hair, and my oldest sis is looking every bit as stylish as I remember. She used to spend what seemed like hours curling her hair. It was painful to wait for. Mom and Dad are looking good, looking real good, if not classic mid-80's.

I am pleased to see we are wearing our imitation Gunny Sax dresses, ever popular at the time. And of course, the knee-high socks, folded over at the top, with Cherokee sandals which got cut off in the picture. But trust me, they're there.

I love looking back at old pictures. Perhaps that's why I take so many now. I want my kids to be able to reminisce on the crazy haircuts and the clothes they can't believe I made them wear. After all, it's only fair, right? Circle of life.

6 comments:

Audrey said...

This has been by far my favorite of your way back Wednesday. I look forward to you post every week. Keep em coming Cynthia!!

Lori said...

You are hilarious. Thanks for pointing out those horns! I should post a picture of our family from the 80's - it's pretty funny.

Thayne6 said...

AHH...gunny sack dresses. What's was up with all those buttons? I had one too! Hee Hee!:) Don't you love the 80's?
--Jamie T.

Maren said...

I'll be laughing about this for a while. Love the "fancy pants" and "circle of life" comments. I think I find it so funny, because, once again it seems we had parallel childhoods. My family picture would so be similar: gunny sack, socks, sandals, feathered hair, unmatching hair ribbons, inexplicable backdrop choices... I'm sure I could find it all in the Nelson family albums of the same era.

Aryn said...

lol. I didn't notice the horns until you brought it up - you are adorable, I couldn't get past cute little Cynthia... but the horns are amusing. But in fairness to Mr. Fancy Pants (and your parents), that is a very nice picture - you all look like such angels, even if your little sister's slip is showing. Too cute.

Sally DeFord said...

Great picture, Cynthia. It's so fun to see such dated pictures. I'm glad we all got family photos by the pool. It's funny to think we'll laugh at our pictures we take now way down the road.

giraffe background