Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Utah Trip, Phase One

As previously stated, we had so much fun on our trip to Utah last week. I took way too many pictures, so I'll have to separate this into a few different posts to get it all in. First off, the kids did great on the 11 hour drive. We were packed in tight and driving through some pretty desolate areas. In Vegas the temp got up to 109! Crazy!! I think southern Utah is so beautiful with all the red rock.
Utah is a pretty unique place. I love it, but it makes me laugh at the same time. Everything is cheaper, from gas to homes to cold cereal--it was on sale at Smith's for $1.49 a box! I stocked up. I later regretted it when we were driving home with barely room to breathe in the car. Erik loves cinnamon bears, although they are hard to find in California. In Utah, they are everywhere!! You can buy a 5-lb. bag of them at Smith's. The mountains really are beautiful, I'd forgotten how big they really are. We went out to eat at Training Table, a favorite from the college days--that one's for you, Erik T.!

One of the things we had to do was take our kids to our alma mater, a.k.a. The BYU (as my grandma would have said). They knew we were going to the Oquirrh Mountain temple open house later that day, so as we entered the Talmage Building (mine and Erik's old stomping grounds), Caleb inquired "Is this the temple?" My response? "It's a temple of sorts, my son. The temple of Math." I don't know when I've been more proud. Caleb got a cool camo BYU hat, and Liv was fascinated when I explained to her that anywhere she saw a piano around campus, kids had church on Sundays.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

I am impressed that you love the temple of math. The saving grace would have been the piano in the rooms for me. :)

Julie said...

That looks like fun! My brother is a huge math guy and spent lots of time at the Talamage building too. I miss the Y, and need to go back soon too.

Aryn said...

There is something very nostalgic about seeing you on the BYU campus on a sunny summer day... and something a bit surreal about seeing your daughter playing a piano on that campus. I remember you sneaking off to play the piano freshman year... good times. Looks like a fun trip!!

Maren said...

I seem to remember the Talmage Building being called the "great and spacious building" not the temple, but then I was into humanities...

Sounds like you had a fun trip!

giraffe background