Saturday, October 3, 2009

Favorite Conference Quote

Not to have favorites, but I just love Elder Bednar. I always enjoy his talks, and find him to be particularly insightful. He had a quote from General Conference about a year ago that I still think about and remember as profound, and I noticed he used it a couple of times in his talk today.

You ready for it?

You sure?

Here goes:

"What we know is not always reflected in what we do."

So true, Elder B. So true.

For example, I know I should serve with compassion and not murmur about the "difficulties" in my life.

I know I should respond to my childrens' meltdowns with kindness and love, but that's not guaranteed to happen.

I know I should read my scriptures every day, pray with fervor, and read all the Conference talks. But I don't always do this.

Heck, I certainly know I shouldn't eat that second bowl of ice cream (or, arguably, the first), but more often than not, I do that too.

But I'm trying. I'm trying to make my actions consistent with my knowledge. Maybe I should just not learn anything new, so I don't have to aim any higher.

Although, I'm pretty sure that's not what Elder Bednar had in mind.

Rats.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Beautifully written and sentiments I share. Amen.

Drewmeister said...

I am feeling especially inspired today. Thank you for sharing your favorite quotes and your beautifully written thoughts.

Erik said...

I want to also share my favorite conference quote but the only quotes that come to mind are

1. "Be nicer to Dad then He is to you."
2. "Ignorance never was happiness"

I am fairly certain these were not really said in conference though.

giraffe background