Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Called to Serve

This past weekend I had the unique opportunity to go to my parents' missionary farewell. They are leaving in a couple of weeks to serve in the Family History Center in Salt Lake City for 18 months.

On Sunday, my parents' entire posterity (5 children, 5 children-in-law, and 16 grandchidren) gathered together to hear them speak in church, share a meal together, and see them set apart as missionaries by the stake president. It was wonderful.

I think it was my mom's idea of heaven, having all of her family together in one room. We took up three long pews at church, and the grandkids sang two of my brother-in-law Matt's songs, I Feel the Spirit and When I Hear the Prophet's Voice.

The cousins had a ball playing together. My parents have a large property, so the kids played a lot of soccer. My dad paid the kids 50 cents a lap to run the 1/4 mile lap he created. Olivia ran 7 laps. That's almost 2 miles!Caleb ran 5. After he ran 2 laps, he proclaimed he was tired and ready to stop. My dad handed over a dollar. Caleb immediately decided to run more laps.

My cousin Virginia, who lives in San Francisco, came up to spend the day with the family. It was so great to see her. When I was growing up, she was always the little kid with curly hair, but now she is a 24-year-old college graduate with confidence and personality to spare. What a great gal. Here she is (in front) with my siblings and me.
We went to my parents' ward, the ward I grew up in, and got to see tons of old friends. I skipped Sunday School (shhh, don't tell) and chatted in the foyer with three guys who I knew as little boys, but now they are all dads! It was strange but really cool to see them all grown up.

I will miss my parents' house since we won't be able to go there while they are gone. They live in such a beautiful area.

But, we will be able to visit my parents in Salt Lake, which I am excited about.

We'll miss you, Mom and Dad!!! We are so excited for you! You will be fabulous missionaries!!!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Congratulations to your parents! What a fun reunion you had. Your brother and sisters look great. It is so strange to see everyone as real grown-ups. That must mean I'm all grown up too. :(

Suzanne said...

Congratulations to them. That is great! How fun that you were all able to be together for their bon voyage.

giraffe background