Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Old Man

Yesterday was not just the first day of school, it was the birthday of the patriarch of our family. That's right, Erik's as old as me now. The kids get a big kick out of the fact that I'm 6 months older. Whenever we take turns doing something in order of age in a feeble attempt to minimize arguing among siblings (youngest in the family always goes first), Olivia is sure to point out that Daddy gets to go before Mommy.
I'll admit I'm a little relieved that for the next six months, we will be the same age again. Saves me a lot of hassle.

In typical Rasmussen fashion we had an extravegent, over-the-top celebration. It consisted of a homemade dinner, a few presents from Big Lots (the local Dollar Store closed down, so we had to find a new go-to gift store), and (Daddy's favorite) a storebought cheesecake adorned with whatever leftover candles we could scrounge up.

Ben wanted to help Daddy open his gifts.
Pardon the belly hanging out over his shorts. He got his shirt dirty at dinner and I was too lazy to go upstairs to get a new one. It's a good thing tummy rolls are cute at his age. Heaven knows they're not nearly as adorable on me.
"Oh, wow! Strawberry scented car freshener and a tire brush! Just what I always wanted!" Actually, Ben was more excited about the tire brush than anyone. He wouldn't let go of it all night.
Yes, I decided to go with the baby cheesecake over the huge, decadent, 12-piece one. Because let's face it, who is home all day with easy access to the leftovers? My tummy rolls would never forgive me. They would just multiply. And then my pants wouldn't fit, and I would cry. And then eat more cheesecake. Believe me when I say I know how this works. I've been there before.

But enough about me. Happy 35th to the best, most helpful and kind husband a gal could want, the most playful and patient daddy, and the most fun and creative statistician ever (yes, it's possible to be a fun statistician)!

Happy Birthday, Babe! We love you!!!

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ah, to be the same age as your spouse....I'm 18 months older, so it never evens out. Fortunately, the kids think being older is "cool". Good to see the photos. You're good people. Happy belated! Both Matt and I are still WAY older than you. :)

Layton family said...

Awhh, happy birthday! Todd's is in a few weeks, maybe I could get him a lemon scented car freshener. I hope you had something else up your sleeve.

Lori said...

Glad he had a good birthday! And you are awesome to bring in a wagon full of school supplies! Thanks again for watching Jared on such a busy day!

Angee said...

Hair definitely makes you look a lot younger. Happy birthday, Erik!

Maren said...

Happy Birthday, Erik! And I have to say, I absolutely know that you can be fun and be a statistician - I lived with a fun stats gal once upon a time. Plus, I am still giggling over Erik's life history. One of the funniest reads ever.

giraffe background