Friday, September 11, 2009

Bathroom Remodel

There are so many things in my house that I want to remodel/improve. I am trying to take it one room at a time, but my problem is this:

I get 90% done, then I get bored and move on to the next project. Then, those last few details that will make the room perfectly finished remain undone for weeks, months, yes sometimes even years because I just can't bring myself to do them. So I make lists and include all these tiny little finishing touches, and every day when I pass said room I think "Oh, I've got to put those knobs on" or "One of these days I'll caulk around the toilet." This goes on for, like I said, oftentimes weeks and even months. Rarely years. Once in awhile years. OK, often years. Usually more like months. Which really isn't much better, let's be honest.
And then one day (this day was yesterday for me) I FINALLY decide to just do it, and it takes me a total of 8 minutes to complete everything. Then I proceed to kick myself and repeat "WHY did it take me so long to get around to doing that?!!" Not that I'm dwelling on it. I'm not dwelling. I'm relishing in the fact that our downstairs bathroom is FINALLY done!!! And it's lovely. Wanna see?
Here it is before:
Boring, ugly, with gross wallpaper and carpet. Seriously, the reason people put carpet in a bathroom is beyond me.

We ripped everything out and started from scratch. Caleb looooooved helping with the demolition. And honestly, what five-year-old boy (OK, he was four then) doesn't?

The wallpaper was the worst. It took days and days and DAYS of spraying and scraping to get it all off. Can you tell this is a memory I don't care to relive?

OK, are you ready? Dun-du-DUH!!! Voila, our new and improved, and recently completed, bathroom!
It's hard to get it all in one shot since it's such a small room. Here's the counter, sink, and fixtures. I just love the look of brushed nickel.
Vanity:
Mirror and lights. The walls are a mossy green color.
Travertine floors. Erik cut them all with a wet saw which made even more of a mess than the wallpaper, but wetter. I laid all the tile myself. I loooove how it turned out. It looks kinda yellowish here, but it's actually more of a tan color.
The picture that inspired the color sheme:

I'm so happy with it! Now I can move on to other projects guilt-free, right? Except I'm already knee-deep in finishing up the kids' rooms and ready to move on to the living room. Oh, and then the kitchen needs some work....

8 comments:

Suzanne said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Wanna come do the same to some of my rooms?

Cathy said...

I was just over at my neighbor's house. We were going over some of our fun "plans" for our houses. Here's hoping they come to life. Yours looks so great. So motivating!

Audrey said...

Okay, first the pretty house color and now this beautiul bathroom. I think you should try out for HGTV's next design star!! They both look great. By the way, I'm all for a red front door too. Nothing says home like a red front door.

Unknown said...

That's beautiful. I have a couple of bathrooms that need a work-over, too. It's just overwhelming.

Aryn said...

Ooh I love it. I've been wanting to do my bathroom (mostly just paint) but am afraid I'll end up making it worse. HOw brave of you to replace even the vanity! Love it.

Amy said...

Beautiful! I feel so proud of you, laying your own tile and all.

daveanddebbie said...

It looks awesome! Now I want to remodel ours! I'll just tell my hubby how lucky he is not to have any wallpaper to remove!

Anonymous said...

Your bathroom looks GREAT, Cynthia! Good job. And I can totally relate to the finish everything to the 90% level and then remind yourself of all the tiny little things to do for the next several months thing. I always do that. There always seems to be something more important (or more exciting)to do instead!

giraffe background