Sunday, March 21, 2010

"That's the Most Ridiculous Thing I've Ever Heard in my Life."

Have you ever said that to your bishop?


I have.


Just a few weeks ago, in fact. He came over to talk to me and Erik one night. I seriously was not thinking it was for any other reason than to check in with us. Yes, I can be pretty clueless sometimes.


Alright friends, it's time to laugh and cry with me.


Are you ready for this? I sure wasn't.


Bishop, Erik, and I were having a nice conversation about, well, I don't remember what. Just gabbing about life, kids, etc. So anyway, out of the blue, the bishop uttered those 11 words you never EVER think you will hear:


"Cynthia, I'd like to call you to be the Relief Society president."


My response?


(filled with disbelief): "You have GOT to be kidding me."


Bishop: "Nope."


Cynthia, clearly not in tune with the Spirit: "That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life."


At this point, Erik leaned over and whispered "Honey, he's serious."


Then I burst into tears and cried for, well quite awhile. Several days, in fact. Actually it's been a few weeks and I'm still going strong in the tears department. Poor Bishop and Erik. They were both so filled with the Spirit and saying encouraging things like "I know you can do it." And there I was, basically screaming at them.


"You're insane!"


"I can't do that!"


"What are you thinking?!!"


As I think back now on how I must have looked that night, sitting on the couch in a sopping, hysterical mess, I think "Wow, I must have looked really silly." I was really a sight to behold, crying hysterically and blubbering incoherently. Seriously. It was bad.


And that, my friends, is what I have been laughing and crying about for the past few weeks. I know I used to have other stuff that I worried about but honestly, now I don't remember what any of it is. Now my brain has been consumed with thoughts like:


"RS presidents know stuff. They are wise. I don't know stuff, and I'm certainly not wise."


"What if somebody dies? What do I do?!!"


"RS presidents are grown-ups! I am clearly NOT one of those."


The up side? I lost 3.5 lbs in a week without even trying. I wasn't even eating healthy food, but I would just forget to eat. Plus, my heart has been constantly pounding all day and night. Heart rate's up! Who knew stress burned so many calories?


As crazy as it sounds, after some serious praying and crying and praying some more, I actually feel like this is the right thing. I still feel overwhelmed and terrified and incredibly inadequate, but I have a feeling the Lord will make up for a lot of that. He wants me to serve, and so I will. I'll try my best. I'll make mistakes, and I'll say the wrong thing. But I tell you what, I love the women in my ward. They are awesome. How could I not want to serve them, and serve with them? I have a feeling it will be incredibly hard... and scary... and wonderful.


I have to say, everyone has been so great. My family and my ward have been incredibly supportive and positive about this whole thing. I do think it's a little strange that other people are not freaking out about this as much as they probably should. I mean seriously folks, I am not the person you want to have in charge.


I obviously have a lot of learning experiences ahead of me. Beginning with, perhaps, How to Accept a Calling Gracefully.


I guess I'll just keep crying and praying. It's worked for me so far. Maybe you can throw in a prayer for me too. I could sure use it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That is such a typical Cynthia reaction! I can just picture it now . . . You'll be FANTASTIC!!! I'm so excited for you. What a great opportunity to grow. And better you than me.

Suzanne said...

You can do it and do it with grace and faith. Go get 'em!

Unknown said...

I'm not surprised you would get such a calling at all! You will be fine and SUPER organized! Just get some good, experienced counselors. I recently was called as the Education Counselor to a friend who had a similar reaction to the RS Pres. calling (obviously she didn't take make advice to get some experienced counselors :). She is doing fine. You will be great. It doesn't require a super woman - just a willing one.

Alexandria Note said...

Yeah Cynthia! You will be great! I wish you were my RS president. I remember a general authority saying he slept like a baby after he got his calling...up all night and crying. Your reaction was so funny. Those ladies are lucky to have you!

Cousin Amy

Layton family said...

Nursery doesn't look so miserable anymore does it???

Angela said...

Hey Cynthia!
I love you! I ALWAYS pictured you RS prez material. Right up there with Jen peterson! You both have inspired me. I wish you were ours and I wish I had a bishop that I could trust.
email me sometime so I can invite you to my new private blog!
love you!
angela :)
sethandangie@hotmail.com

daveanddebbie said...

I wish you were my R.S. President! You will be amazing! I think its great that R.S. presidents come in all kinds of packages. Thinking of the ward I'm in now, I think that many women need someone who they can relate with, someone who brings life to Relief Society. You are an awesome person and you will do great work!!

giraffe background